Optimize User Profiles for Gamification
Once you've set up gamification for your organization, all user profiles will be updated to reflect this change.
In this article, you'll learn how to set up recommended default fields for user profiles. You'll also learn about the features gamification adds to user profiles.
Setting Up Default Fields
Before you dive into the changes gamification makes to user profiles, you'll want to set up default profile fields. To do so, navigate to Admin view > Settings > Fields > User Defaults.
In this page, you can choose which settings will appear in a user's profile. We recommend including the following settings as optional fields:
- Website URL
- LinkedIn URL
- Company Name
- Job Title (if your organization has an auto-filled Position setting, that may override your Job Title)
Click Save Changes when you're finished.
To fill out user profile settings, navigate to the profile picture at the top right of the screen > My Profile > User settings.
On this page, users will be able to fill out their profile settings, including the default fields you set up.
Click Save at the bottom of the page when you've completed your profile. The completed fields will appear in the header at the top of your profile page.
The Skills section below the header is one of the updates that come with gamification. As users gain reputation points for different skills, the skills will appear in this section with their point totals displayed. The overall point total is shown right above the skill list.
Skills are ordered by the total the user has earned for each skill and then by alphabetical order.
Clicking a skill will take users to a new page where they can see content that's tagged with that skill. The content they've already completed will have a blue star icon.
Heads-up: The Skills section will be visible only if Reputation is toggled on for the platform by an admin (under Menu > Settings > Gamification > Enable Reputation.) Also, this section will only show once a user has actually earned Reputation points.
The Credentials section below Skills is another update that comes with gamification. As users complete content that awards credentials, the credentials will appear in this section. They'll be organized by credential types admins assign to individual pieces of content. The total number of credentials is shown right above the credential list.
If users click a credential, a pop-up will appear displaying several options. These include:
- Clicking on skills to find relevant content like in the Skills section
- Sharing the credential on LinkedIn and other social media
- Printing out the full credential award
Enable/Disable Public User Profiles
As an Intellum admin, you can define which users have their Profiles ON or OFF.
To do so:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on the User Profile tab.
- Choose whether you want public profiles off, on for all users, or only for specified Groups.
Allow Users to Elect into a Public Profile
Though these public profile settings offer levels of control, you may wish to empower individual users to elect a public profile. To do so, you will create a custom user field and a special Auto Group for those who've chosen a public profile. Watch the solution in action and read the steps below:
- Go to Admin Panel > Settings > Fields > User Customs/
- Create a new Custom User Field:
- Field Type: Checkbox
- Field Name: Enable Public Profile
- Field Value: true
- Go to the User Defaults tab and enable that new Custom field (at the bottom of the page) as Optional or Required.
- Go to Groups, and create an Auto Group:
- Name: Users with Public Profile Enabled
- Choose Auto Find Members
- Choose “User Enable Public Profile”
- Status: “is checked” Go back to Settings > User Profile
Select “Specified Groups” and choose the Auto Group you just created for Users with Public Profiles Enabled.
Be sure to Save all changes.
You’re all set!
Did this article help?
Let us know by leaving a star rating or review at the top of this article.